Cherubim exists to give talented young musicians access to instruments that match their performance needs. If you meet our criteria we warmly welcome an application, but it should be understood that our funding for acquisitions depends largely on the donations of our supporters, so applicants need to be aware that this can take months rather than weeks. It is in applicants’ best interest to make an attractive and convincing a presentation, including a good photo, that shows a proactive attitude.
Applicants should be:
- Aged 15-23
- First study instrumentalists resident or studying in the UK
- Based within 200 miles of London
- Cherubim does not give grants or loan money.
- Cherubim does not acquire /loan electronic equipment or instruments whose value depreciates rapidly.
- For logistical reasons we don’t plan to acquire more pianos.
- A loan charge is payable based on the value of the instrument: up to £3k – £10pcm. £3-7k – £15 pcm. £7-11k – £20 pcm. £11-14k – £25pcm. over £14k – £30 pcm. Application can be made to the Trustees on grounds of hardship.
- An administration fee is also payable: £4 pcm for college students, or £10 pcm for postgraduates. There is no admin charge for pupils at secondary school.
In particular, Cherubim instruments may not be taken out of the UK except with the written permission of the Trust. For full details see PDF download.
Instruments currently available:
Horn – Besson, ‘the Freer’
Piccolo Trumpet – Bb/A Selmer ‘the Budden’
Altus – Bass Flute
Piano – Yamaha Upright
We encourage applicants to apply for other instruments.
Instruments currently on loan:
Bassoon – Moosmann, ‘the Rothermere-Gosling’
Cello – John Corsby (1828)
Cello – Collin-Mezin, ‘the Rothermere’ & ‘the Curzon Trust’ case
Clarinet Bass – Buffet, ‘the Savile Club’
Clarinet Eb – Buffet RC, ‘the Mellor-Calvert’
Cor Anglais – Lorée
Flute – Muramatsu
Flute – Azumi ‘the Manser’
Harp – Salvi Aurora, ‘the Promenaders – Charles Steer’
Horn – Paxman French Horn, ‘the Gosling’
Marimba – Marimba One
Oboe – Howarth
Piano – Yamaha Upright
Tuba – B&S F orchestral, ‘Charles Steer’
Viola – 16″ WH Lee of Chicago, ‘the Storrs’
Violin – Harrison, ‘the Bonham-Carter’ and Knoll Bow
Violin – Krutz Avant 850 violin & William Pierce violin bow