Taking over the mantle from Diogo Gomes on the Majestic Vibraphone is our new awardee Sehyogue Aulakh.
She says ‘Music is my passion and as a percussionist I play anything you can hit (musically), drums, marimba, xylophone, glockenspiel, vibraphone, timpani as well as things like gongs, tambourines, triangle, cow bells, anvils and scaffolding poles. I have been studying as a percussion specialist at music school for 4 years, previously having ½ hour lessons at a local school. I have also played piano since the age of 5’.
Sehyogue has performed in many arenas, solo, ensemble and orchestral. Her most recent performances (2017-18) include:
- National Open Youth Orchestra (NOYO) – The Umbrella, Liam Taylor-West, a new commission for disable-led orchestra, Wiltshire Music Centre’. Watch is at: https://vimeo.com/238111644
- BBC Prom 44 (2017) – BBC Proms Youth Ensemble, Big Space, Bang On A Can, conducted by Rumon Gamba
- National Youth Orchestra – Bernstein’s Mass, Royal Festival Hall, conducted by Marin Alsop
- BBC Symphony Orchestra – Bernstein Centenary Celebration, The Barbican, London
- Chetham’s School of Music – Symphony Orchestra, Percussion Ensemble, Outreach team at Bridgewater Hall, Stoller Hall, Lichfield Festival
- London Philharmonic Orchestra, Junior Artists 2017-18 – solo and ensemble performance, Marimba Concerto No 1, Ney Resauro, Tailitnama Song, Sculthorpe, Royal Festival Hall, conducted by Holly Mathieson
- Gabrieli Consort – An English Coronation, Ely Cathedral, concert and recording, conducted by Paul McCreesh. Watch and listen at https://www.gabrieli.com/event/english-coronation-ely-cathedral
- BBC Prom 1 (2018) – BBC Proms Youth Ensemble, First Night of the Proms, 5 Telegrams, Anna Meredith and 59 Productions, conducted by Sakari Oramo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=RsWMKO_IpKo
- Edinburgh Festival – opening night, 5 Telegrams, Anna Meredith and 59 Productions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkfGxmjOgso
- Plymouth Music Accord, Young Musicians Platform, Showcase concert, Sherwell Centre, Plymouth, 27th October, 2018 – solo marimba
- Awards For Young Musicians, 20th Anniversary Celebration Concert, Wilton’s Music Hall, London, 29th October – solo marimba
- Plymouth Music Zone – NICK THOMAS AWARD for Outstanding Achievement
– ‘[recognising] using music to make a difference to their own and to other young people’s lives. … someone who is dedicated and passionate about music and PMZ … a desire to value music as a vehicle to not only empower themselves but to inspire people around them … someone who embodies the spirit of being passionate about music and using it as the powerful force that it can be … [and] has had a recognisable impact on PMZ and the people around them’.
Sehyogue says: ‘I am mixed race, which comes with many benefits but also very real challenges, but music makes me feel confident and strong and when I’m feeling sad it instantly makes me feel better. I’m very fortunate to have lots of musical opportunities, but this all costs my parents a lot of money. As well as having to move house (due to racial targeting), a couple of years ago Papa was made redundant and now has another job, but earns much less. My parents give me lifts everywhere, to rehearsals and concerts etc and travel with me to auditions and courses, sometimes we need to stay overnight. They also buy sticks, music and instruments and fund audition fees and masterclasses. I’m worried that they won’t be able to continue to do this’.
She has also been invited back by the LPO to be the inaugural LPO Junior Artist Fellow 2018-19 and is excited about the prospect of continuing her music at conservatoire (auditions in November), and is auditioning in October for the National Youth Orchestra.
- London Philharmonic Orchestra, Junior Artist 2017-18 – an immersive orchestral programme for young musicians currently underrepresented in orchestra (I’m the one with the sticks) https://www.lpo.org.uk/education/meet-the-junior-artists-2017.html
- BBC Young Musician – second round
- National Open Youth Orchestra (NOYO) – a disable-led orchestra; mentor and perform with the percussion section
- National Youth Wind Orchestra – gained a place
- Outreach Work – with NOYO, Manchester Camerata, Nordoff Robbins and Plymouth Music Zone
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Brass and Percussion week
- National Youth Percussion Orchestra, Cambridge – week long course
- Nick Branston Music Course, Bristol – teaching percussion section
- BBC Proms, Scratch Orchestra, in BBC Concert Orchestra percussion section, Shostakovich, conducted by Marin Alsop
- London Philharmonic Orchestra, Junior Artist Fellow 2018-19 – after completing the Junior Artists programme 2017-18 I have been invited back as a Junior Fellow which will involve further immersion in the orchestra.